PURPOSE: To foster a school community that strives to build an inclusive environment.
DESCRIPTION: This committee aims to evaluate PTA programs and practices to ensure inclusiveness. This includes making every effort to create a PTA board and membership that is inclusive and reflective of its community.
1. Recruit a committee that is reflective of the La Entrada community, including individuals who represent the following groups:
- English Language Learners
- Parents/Guardians of children with special needs
- Families new to the district
- Parents/Guardians of children with food allergies
- Tinsley program parents
2. Explore with committee chairs how existing PTA programs can support diversity and inclusion (e.g. Back-to-School events, Holiday Faire, Used Book Fair).
3. Provide resources to PTA leadership on best practices such as:
- Making PTA events accessible
- Issues facing LGBTQ children and families
- Engagement/inclusion of males in the PTA
- Special Needs 101 and person-first language
- Accessibility of PTA communications for English language learners, people with visual impairment, families with limited access to email, etc.
- Issues facing students with food allergies.
4. Connect PTA membership with relevant local events and resources pertaining to diversity/inclusion, such as the Menlo College MLK Service Day.
VOLUNTEER RESPONSIBILITIES: In order to accomplish the above responsibilities, the Committee Chair(s) will attend PTA Executive Board Meetings and quarterly General PTA Meetings. Committee members will work with Committee Chairs to accomplish the above goals and attend quarterly Committee meetings.
CONTACT: If you have any questions about this program, please email the committee co-chairs, Terri Givens and Heather Hopkins at email@example.com.
If you’d like to volunteer for Diversity and Inclusion, please enter your contact info below.
Last updated: 12/09/17